Bret Holmes, No. 23 Southern States Bank Chevrolet
ARCA Racing Series Presented by Menards
Sioux Chief PowerPEX 200
Lucas Oil Raceway (July 21, 2017)
Race: 11 of 20
Crew Chief: Sam Schram
Primary Sponsor(s): Southern States Bank / Holmes II Excavation
Engine: ARCA Ilmor 396
2017 Driver Points: 6th (2250 pts.)
2017 SCOTT Rookie Points: T-1st (242 pts.)
Sound Clip – Bret Holmes:
Bret’s thoughts on returning to Lucas Oil Raceway.
“I’m excited to get back to Lucas Oil this week, especially since we have Sam (Schram) back with us. He was with the team last season when we managed sixth-place there, and I think we can be even better this year under his leadership.”
What is the team looking to do differently this week to bring a better car to LOR?
“I’m up in Statesville this week to help out and work with the team on making the car better. We had a pretty solid notebook from the race last season, and I think we can make some positive swings at it that will give us a car that can compete this year. With a week off, the team was able to [thoroughly] work on the cars and keep the program moving in the right direction. I think we will start to see some significant improvements this week.”
What do you think the biggest goal is right now for the team?
“Just getting over that hurdle of competing for a win every week. We are getting closer, but are not quite there yet. Once we can start contending for wins, a win will be soon to follow. I have the desire to win, and so does every person on this team. We are closing the gap, and I think it is just a matter of time now.”
The Highlight Reel:
- Holmes coming back to a track he is familiar with – The Munford, Ala., native will make his second trip to Lucas Oil Raceway this Friday. In last season’s race, Holmes managed a sixth-place finish after running in the top-5 for the majority of the event.
- Sioux Chief PowerPEX 200 Schedule – ARCA Racing Series practice is from 12 – 2 p.m., followed by General Tire pole qualifying at 5. Pre-race ceremonies and driver introductions begin at 8:30 with the green flag waving just after 9. The 100-lap ARCA/CRA Super Series late model race precedes the 200-lap ARCA national tour event. The Sioux Chief PowerPEX® 200 is live on FS1 at 9 p.m. ET. ARCAracing.com will feature live timing and scoring and live chat of all ARCA Racing Series on-track activities.
- Holmes tied for first in SCOTT Rookie of the Year title race – The SCOTT Rookie of the Year title is now officially tied at the top between Bret Holmes and Bluffton, S.C.’s Gus Dean. Each has 242 points. Riley Herbst is currently in third-place, only 10 points behind. The SCOTT Rookie of the Year battle takes each rookie’s best 15 finishes and awards a $10,000 bonus to the victor at the championship awards banquet in Indianapolis at the end of the season.
Bret Holmes 2017 ARCA Season Stats:
- Starts: 10 (10 of 20)
- Wins: 0 (0.0%)
- Top-5 Finishes: 2 (20.0%)
- Top-10 Finishes: 6 (60.0%)
- Best Start: 2nd (Elko)
- Best Finish: 4th (Elko / Michigan)
- Laps Completed: 1403 of 1537 (91.3%)
- Laps Led: 0
- Average Start: 10.6
- Average Finish: 11.0
- DNF: 2 (Talladega / Toledo)
About Bret Holmes Racing: Bret Holmes Racing is an Alabama-based ARCA racing team that operates out of Munford, AL and Statesville, N.C. while still holding true to its traditional southern roots. Founded by Stacy Holmes, of Holmes II Excavation in Munford, the team sticks to its good nature and solid values to put the best product on and off the track with its driver Bret Holmes.