ARCA Racing Series Presented by Menards
General Tire 200
Talladega Superspeedway (May 5, 2017)
Race: 4 of 20
Crew Chief: Bryan Berry
Primary Sponsor(s): Holmes II Excavation / Southern States Bank
Engine: ARCA Ilmor 396
2017 Driver Points: 5th (560 pts.)
2017 Owners Points: 5th (560 pts.)
2017 SCOTT Rookie Challenge 1st (76 pts.)
Sound Clip – Bret Holmes:
Bret on Kentuckiana Ford Dealers ARCA 200 at Salem Speedway.
“It just seems to be a running trend (these past few weeks) that we cannot catch a break. We made big swings at the car after we ran poor in practice, and I felt like we had finally figured it out. We had a fast piece for that race, and to have a good run like that taken away from us was really discouraging, but I think we will take all the positives we can from Salem and bring them home to Talladega this week.”
Speaking of Talladega, what does it mean to be racing again at your home track?
“Talladega is such a special place to me. I grew up 15 minutes from the track and also cut my teeth at the dirt track across the street. If we are going to get some positive momentum running this season, it will be at Talladega. I can’t wait to run in front of my friends, family and fans that have supported me for so long. We have a really strong speedway car, and I think this will be a special race for us.”
What are some of your favorite memories of Talladega from growing up?
“Obviously, I’ve gone to my fair share of races at Talladega. I can’t put my finger on one race, but the feeling you get from a track like Talladega is something that I haven’t seen reproduced anywhere else. The fans are unlike any others in the sport, and I think they are the best out there. It is definitely a plus that a lot of them will be pulling for me this weekend as well.”
The Highlight Reel:
- Holmes looking to improve on his previous superspeedway finishes – Holmes has run in two superspeedway races in his young ARCA career, with his debut last season at Talladega. Holmes has run ninth and sixth in his previous two starts on superspeedways.
- Alabama Gang connection – Following in the footsteps of famous Alabama drives like Bobby, Donnie and Davey Allison is no small task, but Bret Holmes looks to continue this tradition by starting this years’ General Tire 200 in the number 23 car. The iconic ARCA number was used by Davey Allison when he won his first series race at Talladega in 1985. Holmes will also be participating in an Alabama Gang autograph session with the likes of Bobby Allison and Red Farmer on Sunday afternoon.
- Talladega week will be one for the record books – Holmes homecoming to Talladega on May 5th (His 20th birthday) is already shaping up to be very exciting for the Munford, AL native. Ticket requests and fan support have been through the roof over the past few weeks as fans, friends and family look to welcome home Alabama’s favorite racing son next week. For more information regarding ticket sales for the General Tire 200 at Talladega, call 1-877-GO-2-DEGA or visit their website at www.talladegasuperspeedway.com.
Bret Holmes 2017 ARCA Season Stats:
- Starts: 3 (3 of 20)
- Wins: 0 (0.0%)
- Top-5 Finishes: 0 (0.0%)
- Top-10 Finishes: 2 (66.7%)
- Best Start: 5th (Nashville)
- Best Finish: 6th (Daytona)
- Laps Completed: 471 of 475 (99.2%)
- Laps Led: 0
- Average Start: 10.3
- Average Finish: 8.7
- DNF: 0
About Bret Holmes Racing: Bret Holmes Racing is an Alabama-based ARCA racing team that operates out of Munford, AL and Statesville, N.C. while still holding true to its traditional southern roots. Founded by Stacy Holmes, of Holmes II Excavation in Munford, the team sticks to its good nature and solid values to put the best product on and off the track with its driver Bret Holmes.