ARCA Racing Series Presented by Menards
Lucas Oil Complete Engine Treatment 200 Driven by General Tire
Daytona International Speedway
Race: 1 of 20
Crew Chief: Bryan Berry
Primary Sponsor(s): Holmes II Excavation/ Southern States Bank
Engine: ARCA Ilmor 396
2017 Driver Points: N/A
2017 Owners Points: N/A
Sound Clip – Bret Holmes:
Bret, there has been a lot of big moves for the team this offseason. Is it nice having all of that done and finally getting to race at Daytona?
“I am very excited to get down to Daytona and race finally. It has been a long, but successful offseason, and I think we finally have the right people and equipment in place to make a legitimate run at the win.”
How well did BHR’s test at Daytona go earlier this year?
“We had an excellent test at Daytona in January. In fact, we were one of the quickest Chevrolets at the test, which shows how focused we are about doing well at our first race this season. We took the car back to our shop and have tweaked on it a little bit, but overall we came back very confident in our equipment.”
What are your biggest goals for this season, and how are they different from last season?
“It was nice getting my feet wet last season in ARCA with a seven-race schedule, but we are in it full-time this year and are poised to go after a win each week, and ultimately win the championship at the end of the year. Our mentality is to go out and win this season; win races and win the championship.”
The Highlight Reel:
- Full Timer – On January, 4th 2017, Bret Holmes announced his intentions to compete in all 20 ARCA Racing Series Presented by Menards events for the 2017 season. Bret, as well as competing for the overall points championship, will look to win the coveted SCOTT Rookie of the Year award as well.
- Big Moves — BHR had a very busy offseason moving its ARCA operations from their original shop in Munford, AL to Statesville, N.C. on the campus of GMS Racing. In addition to the move, BHR announced that Bryan Berry would assume the position of Crew Chief that was previously held by NASCAR Camping World Truck Series driver, Grant Enfinger. Berry, a Homestead, Florida native has worked in the sport for over 20 years. In 2015 and ‘16, he was the Crew Chief for Ross Chastain in the NASCAR Xfinity Series and has collaborated with other NASCAR greats like Brendan Gaughan and Mike Cope throughout his impressive career.
- Holmes Fast at Daytona Test — Holmes, rookie driver of the No. 23 Chevrolet, was eighth fastest overall (187.954 mph) among the 63 drivers who tested.
- Speedway Ready – Holmes is no stranger to Superspeedways like Daytona, as the Munford, AL native grew up 10-minutes from the iconic Talladega Superspeedway and in 2016, after qualifying 13th, rallied for a 9th place finish at the monster track.
Bret Holmes 2016 ARCA Season Stats:
- Starts: 7
- Top-5 Finishes: 3 (42.9%)
- Top-10 Finishes: 6 (85.7%)
- Best Start: 2nd (Nashville)
- Best Finish: 3rd (Salem)
- Laps Completed: 1027 of 1076 (95.4%)
- Laps Led: 6 (Nashville)
- Average Start: 7.6
- Average Finish: 8.6
About Bret Holmes Racing: Bret Holmes Racing is an Alabama-based ARCA racing team that operates out of Munford, AL and Statesville, N.C. while still holding true to its traditional southern roots. Founded by Stacy Holmes, of Holmes II Excavation in Munford, the team sticks to its good nature and solid values to put the best product on and off the track with its driver Bret Holmes.