MOORESVILLE, N.C. (Aug. 22, 2017) – In a weekend of firsts for Cunningham Motorsports drivers Shane Lee and Dalton Sargeant, the teammates headed to the Illinois State Fair this past weekend to take on a dirt track for the first time in their careers. After driving well within the top-10 throughout the 100-lap race, Lee earned his fifth top-five finish of the season in fifth-place with Sargeant adding another top-10 to his season with a 10th-place finish in the Herr’s Potato Chips 100.
- Shane Lee, No. 22 Big Tine Ford Fusion: Start 9th, Finish 5th
- Dalton Sargeant, No. 77 Big Tine Ford Fusion: Start 11th, Finish 10th
- On the second caution of the night at lap 19, Sargeant reported being tight across and center and exit. He chose to come down pit road for four fresh General Tires, Sunoco race fuel and adjustments. The restart came on lap 25 with Lee jumping up to ninth after staying out and Sargeant in 17th.
- Another caution came on lap 28 and Sargeant came down pit road again for a few more adjustments.
- After the lap 33 restart, Lee worked his way up to sixth with Sargeant behind in 14th.
- Lee came in to pit for four General Tires, Sunoco fuel and adjustments on lap 45 after the fourth caution of the night fell. Lee would restart 12th with Sargeant in seventh.
- At lap 58, the red flag came out for a multi-car incident in turns three and four. When the race returned to green on lap 61, Sargeant held the seventh position with Lee right behind in ninth.
- The final caution of the night came on lap 75 with Sargeant stopping on pit road one last time for adjustments and cooler tires.
- Both drivers remained in the top-10 for the last 20 laps of the day with Lee ultimately finishing in fifth and Sargeant in tenth.
- Shane Lee: “I didn’t really know what to expect since it was my first time on dirt in an ARCA car, but we had a really fast No. 22 Big Tine Ford Fusion and it showed during the race. The entire team made sure the car ran smooth all day throughout the changing track conditions and I think I did a pretty good job at getting acclimated to the track and driving style. We had a really good points day…we moved up to fourth in points and aren’t too far behind third so I think if we can keep getting some of these good finishes we’ll be in pretty good shape for the rest of the season.”
- Dalton Sargeant: “This was definitely a big challenge for me. This race was completely out of my comfort zone and it was a great learning experience. Each time we went out on the track I think I was able to become more familiar with everything and while a tenth-place finish isn’t what we had wanted I think we have a good base to work off of for DuQuoin in a few weeks. Chad (Bryant) has done a great job this entire season helping me break out of my comfort zone and this was just another race that he was able to accomplish that again.”
Next up for Cunningham Motorsports is the sole road course race of the season at Road America on August 27.
Until then, keep up with Cunningham Motorsports on Facebook and Instagram (@CunninghamRace) and on Twitter (@Cunningham_Race). Head to www.cunninghamrace.com for more news.
You can follow Shane and Dalton on social media as well. Follow Shane on Facebook and Twitter (@ShaneLeeRacing) and on Instagram (@Shane_Lee00). Follow Dalton on Facebook (@DaltonSargeantRacing) and Twitter and Instagram (@DaltonSargeant).
Big Tine is manufactured in Rockville, Ind. and was introduced to the market in 2010. Big Tine is the only feed supplement on the market that utilizes the power of Whitetail InstitutesTM 30-06 mineral and vitamin supplement for year-round support management of a healthy, flourishing herd. For more information on Big Tine, products or where to buy visit us at www.bigtine.com on Facebook @BigTine and on Instagram @BigTineOfficial.