MOORESVILLE, N.C. (Sept. 8, 2017) – With one race down, Cunningham Motorsports has one more to go to sweep Salem Speedway for the 2017 season. Dalton Sargeant, who won April’s Salem race, and teammate Shane Lee both head to the historic track with hopes of keeping Cunningham in the Salem victory lane spotlight. The two will also sport throwback paint schemes for the Eddie Gilstrap Motors Fall Classic 200 which give tribute to Cunningham General Manager/crew chief Paul Andrews.
What You Need to Know:
- Cunningham already has one win at Salem this year when Dalton Sargeant took his first victory of 2017 in April.
- Teams need to be prepared for how the track will change from day to night in terms of track temperature which will affect the balance of the car. Setups that worked in April may need to be altered for night conditions.
- Salem is a unique track with not only the high-banking of turns but also the contrast of surface age throughout the track. Turns one and two are much older than turns three and four which means there is less grip on the older section resulting in harder tire wear.
Shane Lee, No. 22 Big Tine Ford Fusion
- After leading the most laps at DuQuoin in his second dirt track start, Lee took home a sixth-place finish last weekend.
- Lee had a promising run at Salem in April, coming away with a fourth-place finish.
- In honor of his crew chief, Paul Andrews, Lee will be running Geoff Bodine’s 1994 Exide Batteries paint scheme for the throwback weekend. Andrews was crew chief for Bodine at that time.
- Lee: “I’m really excited to head to Salem this week. We ran really well here in April so I’d expect to do the same this weekend. Salem is such a fun track to come to with so much history…mix in the throwback schemes and it’ll be a really cool race. I’ve been close to getting my first win for a while now and if it were to come this weekend…it would be really special for this 22 team and my crew chief Paul Andrews. We’ve been on a momentum swing lately and hopefully it stays this way and we can finally get into victory lane this weekend.”
Dalton Sargeant, No. 77 Big Tine Ford Fusion
- Sargeant turned heads at Salem earlier this year when the 19-year-old dominated the race and earned his second career ARCA win. Leading 57 laps, a unique pit strategy helped secure the win.
- Sargeant goes in to Salem with three wins on the season and a current second-place championship standing.
- Going along with the throwback weekend, Sargeant will also honor crew chief Paul Andrews and the late Alan Kulwicki with the 1992 championship Hooters “Underbird” paint scheme.
- Sargeant: “Salem is probably one of my favorite tracks. There’s a lot of energy surrounding this race and you could feel it all week long in the shop when we were putting the cars together. It’s going to be pretty special having Alan Kulwicki’s championship paint scheme from 1992 on the car this weekend…hopefully we can get another win for Paul Andrews. I know we’ll be a contender this race, we were fast earlier this season and had really good tire wear throughout our runs. I think we have a strong chance at going back-to-back at Salem this year.”
The Eddie Gilstrap Motors Fall Classic 200 presented by Meadow View/Salem Crossing is slated for Saturday, Sep. 9, with practice starting at 1:00 p.m. followed by General Tire Pole Qualifying at 4. The race is set to start at 7:15 p.m. and will air on a tape-delayed basis on MAVTV. Live timing and scoring will be provided at www.arcaracing.com. All times are local (Eastern).
Keep up with Cunningham Motorsports on Facebook and Instagram (@CunninghamRace) and on Twitter (@Cunningham_Race). Head to www.cunninghamrace.com for more news.
You can follow Shane and Dalton on social media as well. Follow Shane on Facebook/Twitter (@ShaneLeeRacing) and on Instagram (@Shane_Lee00). You can find Dalton on Facebook (@DaltonSargeantRacing) and Twitter/Instagram (@DaltonSargeant).
Big Tine is manufactured in Rockville, Ind. and was introduced to the market in 2010. Big Tine is the only feed supplement on the market that utilizes the power of Whitetail InstitutesTM 30-06 mineral and vitamin supplement for year-round support management of a healthy, flourishing herd. For more information on Big Tine, products or where to buy visit us at www.bigtine.com on Facebook @BigTine and on Instagram @BigTineOfficial.